The Santa Fe Trail school district is a predominately rural school community of approximately 1100 students Pre-K through grade 12.
Each of the district’s three communities has an attendance center. PreSchool attend at Scranton Attendance Center. Kindergarten through third grade attends school at Overbrook. Carbondale Attendance Center instructs grades 4 - 8. Santa Fe Trail High School, grades 9-12, a 3A school with approximately 350 students, is located two miles east of the US Highways 75 and 56 intersection. It is approximately five miles from each of the district’s communities.
The district is located in northern Osage County and is bordered on the north by Shawnee County and to the east by Douglas County. Topeka is less than a fifteen minute drive from the center of the district. Shopping in Kansas City is less than an hour away.
The Santa Fe Trail school district provides staff and students with modern, air conditioned facilities in which to teach and learn. An extensive remodeling project at the high school was completed on the library and science rooms in 2010.
Our staff of nearly 100 regular and special education professionals includes 5 full time building administrators, and 4 full time school counselors.
The Santa Fe Trail school district has proven itself to be a wonderful place to work, live, and raise a family. Our small-town, rural environment is complemented by our proximity to Topeka, Lawrence and Kansas City - without a doubt, the best of both worlds!
USD 434 Vision and Mission Statement
Vision Statement Adopted August 11, 2021
Inspiring and Empowering Every Charger, Every Day
District Mission Statement
The mission of Santa Fe Trail USD 434 is to support individual student needs in preparation for successful lifework.
- The individual needs of all students should be the focus in instructional planning and addressing personal well-being.
- Guidance in exploring various college and career opportunities is an essential element of a comprehensive education program.
- Character education efforts help prepare students to become responsible and accountable citizens.
- Personal growth and achievements should be privately and publicly recognized.
- Parents and communities are an integral part of the educational process and student success.
- A well-rounded student takes advantage of opportunities inside and outside the classroom.